Saturday, November 8, 2008

Another Sweater Completed

In keeping with two challenges this month - Jane's lists and TIF, I can proudly report that another sweater has been sewn together.  I started the cotton sweater shown below in March of 2008.  The fiber was purchased before I left New England from a yarn auction my local knitting guild sponsored to raise money for its speakers and trips.  One of the members donated enough organically-grown cotton to make a sweater and I was the highest bidder.  The fiber sat in my stash for about three years until I moved south and found the climate more suitable to fibers less warm than wool.

I chose the caterpillar stitch because I wanted a mindless stitch that was relaxing but that looked good with the fiber.  One thing I particularly like about the sweater now that it is done is the side seams.  I did a three-needle bind off for the shoulders, but left a slipped-stitch selvedge at the other seams.I decided to try stitching the seams together from the right side of the fabric to create a raised rib.  I really like how it looks on this particular sweater, but I am not sure how well it would compliment fancier stitches.




Here's the completed garment:


I have to confess that I have not picked up the hand quilting hoop for the TIF challenge, but I hope to get to that this weekend.  And the teapot quilt blocks?  Totally disassembled and... But that is a story for later.


1 comment:

Jane said...

I love the sweater and the way you have sewn the side seams. I have never done that before. I hope the teapots will resurface at some stage, I had enjoyed seeing them.