I was flummoxed by the name "trellis" stitch. The samples I found surely didn't look like a trellis to me at all. So I did something I've never done for either the TAST or the 2008 challenge: I did a practice panel. Here it is, completed just after Valentine's Day when Sharon first posted the assignment:
I watched the videos Sharon provided on her blog and decided to work squares instead of circles. I'm a linear thinker so it just seemed easier to me if I could try duplicating the rectangular samples offered up in the videos.
I varied the weight of the fiber, because initially I couldn't see how this stitch could be varied very much. I thought I could get different effects on my panel if I simply changed the type of threads I chose.
Lo! Spacing the stitches far apart using fine thread clearly showed a trellis effect. Note: It's impossible to space the stitches using fine thread close together. You won't be able to see the bridge stitches in order to work the succeeding stitches.
That said and done, I confess I am having difficulty with this assignment. If I work the stitches with large spaces between them, it is very hard to control the knotting and consequently the regularity of the fiber length in each stitch. But now that I've got some ideas, I'll start stitching on the panel and see what evolves.